(Close this window to return to
the main site.)
Note: There are many other articles and books which contain references to Dr. Johannes de la Montagne and his family. These listed below, however, are the most important printed sources of information, consisting of genealogies, collections of documents, and histories. In addition, there are vital collections of unpublished documents in the Netherlands, such as the Leiden Walloon papers and church records. Another source of information is known as The New Netherland Project, which is in the middle of translating and publishing papers from the Dutch years in America. There are many volumes of the New York Historical Manuscripts, some published, some still in the process of being translated by Dr. Charles T. Gehring.
- Baird, Charles Washington. History of the Huguenot Emigration
to America. New York: 1885. Reprinted Baltimore, MD:
Genealogical Publishing Co., 1973. 2 volumes in 1.
- DeForest, Emily Johnston (Mrs. Robert). A Walloon Family in America;
Lockwood de Forest and His Forbears 1500-1848. Boston:
Houghton Mifflin Co., 1914. 2 volumes.
John William. The DeForests of Avesnes and of New Netherland.
New Haven, CT: Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor, 1900.
- DeForest, Jesse and Jehan Mousnier de la Montagne. "A Voyage to Guiana; Being the Journal of Jesse de Forest and His Colonists 1623-1625.: Sloan MS. 179b in the British Museum, London. Printed in volume 2 of Mrs. R. DeForest's A Walloon
Family in America.
- Green, Lucy Garrison. The De Forests and the Walloon Founding
of New Amsterdam. Master's thesis written at Lincoln,
NE in 1916. New York: The Gillis Press, 1924. Facsimile
reprint Bowie, MD: Heritage Books, 2003.
- Hoes, Roswell B. Baptismal and Marriage Registers of the Old
Dutch Church of Kingston, Ulster County, N.Y. 1660-1809.
New York: DeMinne Press, 1891. Reprinted Baltimore, MD:
Genealogical Publishing, 1980.
- Howell, George Rogers. History of Albany and Schenectady Counties,
N.Y. 1609-1886. New York: W.W.Munsell & Co., 1886.
- Kip, Frederic. History of the Kip Family in America. Montclair,
N.J.: Privately printed, 1928.
- Leiby, Adrian C. The Early Dutch and Swedish Settlers of New
Jersey. N.J. Historical Series, vol. 10. Princeton,
NJ: Van Nostrand Co., 1964.
- Newsletter of the Society of Descendants of Johannes de la Montagne.
Ed. Lois Stewart. Springfield, MO: SDJM, 1983-2003. 18 volumes.
- O'Callaghan, Edmund Bailey, editor. Calendar of Historical Manuscripts
in the Office of the Secretary of State, Alvany, N.Y,
Albany: Weed, Parsons and Co., 1865. Reprinted 1968.
- - - - . Documents Relative to the Colonial History of the
State of New York; Procured in Holland, England, and France,
by John Romeyn Brodhead, Esq. Agent. Albany: 1853-1887.
- - . "First Stone House in Albany." The New York
Genealogical and Biographical Record 4 (1893) 21-24.
- - - - . Documentary History of the State of New York.
Albany: 1849-1851. 4 volumes.
- - - - . History of New Netherland. 2nd edition. New
York: 1855. 2 volumes.
- Pearson, Jonathan. Contributions for the Genealogies of the First
Settlers of the Ancient County of Albany, From 1630 to 1800.
Albany: 1872. Reprinted Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing
- Provost, Andrew J. Jr. Early Settlers of Bushwick, Long Island,
N.Y. and their Descendants. Unpublished manuscript in
three volumes, compiled in 1955 and revised in March 1960.
New Rochelle, NY: One copy of each volume is deposited in
the New York City Public Library.
- - . "History of the Provoost Family of New Amsterdam
and Colonial New York from 1545-1724." NYG&BR 89
(1958) 195-205; 90 (1959) 39.
Edwin R. "Contributions to the History of the Ancient
Families of New York." NYG&BR 7 (1876) 119-121;
8 (1877) 67-73, 124-129.
- Purple, Samuel S., editor. Records of the Reformed Dutch Church
in New Amsterdam and New York; Marriages from 11 December
1639 to 26 August 1801. New York: New York Genealogical
and Biographical Society, 1890. Facsimile reprint Bowie,
MD: Heritage Books, 1997.
- Raesly, Ellis Lawrence. Portrait of New Netherland. Port
Washington, NY: Ira J. Friedman, 1965.
Howard S.F. "Anthony DeHooges, Secretary of Rensselaerswyck
and His Descendants." NYG&BR 67 (1936) 4-15.
- Records of the Reformed Dutch Church in New Amsterdam and New York; Baptisms. 2 volumes. Ed. Thomas Grier Evans. New York:
New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1901. Facsimile
Reprint Englewood, NJ: Bergen Historic Books, 1998.
- Riker, James. Revised History of Harlem (City of New York);
Its Origin and Early Annals. Revised by Henry Pennington
Toler and Sterling Potter. New York: Privately Printed,
1904. Facsimile Reprint Bowie, MD: Heritage Books, 2001.
- Stewart, Lois, compiler and publisher. The Ancestors and Descendants
of James Montaney (1799-1857) of Oppenheim, Fulton County,
New York; a Genealogical History of the Montana Branch of
the Montanye Family, Descended from Dr. Johannes de la Montagne
(1595-1670). Baltimore: Gateway Press, 1982.
Henry Pennington. The New Harlem Register: Genealogy of
the Descendants of the Twenty-Three Original Patentees of
the Town of New Harlem, Containing Proofs of Birth, Baptisms,
and Marriages from the Year 1630 to Date. New York: Privately
- Van Der Zee, Henri and Barbara. A Sweet and Alien Land; The
Story of Dutch New York. New York: Viking Press, 1978.
- Van Laer, Arnold J.F., translator. New York Historical Manuscripts:
Dutch. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1974.
- Van Laer, Arnold J.F., archivist, translator, and editor. New
York State Library: Van Rensselaer-Bovier Manuscripts; Being
the Letters of Kiliaen Van Rensselaer 1630-1643 and Other
Documents. Albany, 1908.
- Versteeg, Dingman, translator. Kingston Papers: Kingston Court
Records, 1661-1667, 1668-1675; Secretary's Papers 1664-1675.
Eds. Peter R. Christoph, Kenneth Scott, and Kenn Stryker-Rodda.
Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co.